Thursday, May 2, 2019

CLOSE LOOK at Tony Nominees for Best New Musical and My Prediction of the Winner

One of these will win the Tony for Best New Musical, 2018-2019.  Which will it be?  Read on to see my prediction.  



THE PROM is a deliciously entertaining and original musical, with a fine cast, a witty score and clever lyrics, Broadway in-jokes, a message of social justice, and a wide appeal to audiences of all ages.  It is a strong contender to win, but I'm betting on another.  Keep reading. 





   


















TOOTSIE's biggest strength is its wonderful lead and fantastic supporting cast. Being based on a familiar and popular movie will help at the box office. But will it be enough to win the Tony?  I say no. So keep on reading. 
















AIN'T TOO PROUD is filled with talented singers who do wonders with the Motown song book.  It also boasts a strong book for a jukebook musical.  Fans of the Temptations will not be disappoined.  But, no, I do not believe it will win for Best Musical. Keep on reading. 
















BEETLEJUICE, like Tootsie, is based on a popular film, and its leads work like blazes to sell the musical. I can't say I cared for it much (and, yes, I liked the movie). I do not think it will emerge as the winner.  So, keep on reading.



















HADESTOWN, like The Prom, is an original musical, and it boasts great music, performances, and production values.  Director Rachel Chavkin was at the helm of Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, and this one is equally brilliant. I humbly suggest that in Hadestown, we have our winner!




___________________




Feel free to share this blog with your friends, and to offer up your own theater stories by posting a comment. I also invite you to check out the website Show-Score.Com, where you will find capsule reviews of current plays from Yours Truly and many other New York critics. I reviewed all five of the nominees, so if you want more information, you know where to go.  




No comments:

Post a Comment